Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My very favorite vegetable side dish

Lately I've been on a quest to eat healthier. Perhaps it's because my boyfriend is in med school, so I get to hear fun factoids about the human body all day, every day. Or maybe it's just because I'm getting to the point where I can't live solely on mac n' cheese and peanut butter sandwiches anymore. In any case, I've been paying a lot more attention to what I eat, and how. I've been trying to front-load my calories for the day, adding a food to breakfast and taking away a food later in the day. (Goodbye, midnight egg sammiches!) In addition, I've been trying to replace part of my lunch and dinner with vegetables. This way I don't have to completely give up tuna noodle casserole and grilled cheese sandwiches, I'm just halving the portions and filling up the rest of the way on vegetables.

Since I'm not yet at the point where I have to be really watching my sodium intake, I figure a tiny bit of soy sauce and butter on my veggies won't hurt. The absolutely most satisfying vegetable recipe I have in my repertoire actually comes from my mother's kitchen, broccoli with brown butter sauce. I started making it for myself while I was living in France, for two reasons: (1) It is absurdly easy, and I was just learning my way around the kitchen, and (2) It was easily accomplishable in my 6x8' kitchenette with two tiny electric burners and almost no counter space. These days, I love it so much that I will steal broccoli from my boy's house just so I can have my fix while he's in class. It's quite simple:

Ingredients:
Equal parts butter, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. (I usually do about 1 tbsp per serving, eyeballing the soy sauce and vinegar)
Some broccoli (I'm eating a small head per meal)

Put the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Forget about it for a few minutes. When it's nicely brown, but not burnt, take off the heat. Add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar, and swirl it around. Avoid taking a big whiff, you will regret it.
Rinse off the broccoli head. Chop up into bite-sized florets, leaving as much stem as you wish. Put into a microwaveable bowl or dish. Pour the sauce over the broccoli, and cover the bowl with some plastic wrap (or a lid, if you're fancy.) Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. Take out, remove plastic wrap, stir, and eat.

I have made this at least three times this week. I need to find a new equally delicious veggie recipe fast, or I'm going to risk burning myself out on it! I've probably still got some time, though. I can proudly say that I enjoyed today's serving more than the half grilled cheese sandwich it was accompanying. Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. Your Broccoli a la Anna will be the featured dish at tonight's dinner to celebrate Laura and Breton's wedding anniversary. We find your blog to be very entertaining. The mac n'cheese kid moves on.

    Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete